Saturday, May 1, 2010

Dirty Books: You Grow Girl

I thought that title might get your attention. (It might get some creepy attention, too.) I did a post a while back asking people what gardening books they liked and found particularly useful for our region. (There was a good round-up on that post. Make sure you read the comments, too.)

Although not specifically related to this coast, I've found another book that I am really enjoying — You Grow Girl: The Groundbreaking Guide to Gardening by Gayla Trail. There are many things I like about this book, but it appealed to two qualities in particular that I cherish: quirkiness (with a good dose of sarcasm) and thrift. Although it is certainly aimed at the younger hipster demographic (of which I am not) who is likely gardening on a balcony or in a rental, the book is full of practical information and it is well-written, cheeky and funny. This bit, from the introduction, gives you a sense of Gayla's style when she relates how her passion for growing things had morphed into a "Godzilla-sized hobby."

...it was time to pick up a book or two. Boy was I in for a shock. I discovered that there were few publications in any media that appeals to my perspective as a young, frugal urban gardener with no permanent space and only a sweltering hot deck to my name. The gardening world focused on a very specific demographic—older suburban ladies—and I wasn't part of it. Gardening books took it for granted that I had a sprawling backyard and an eager bank account and wasn't it all so deathly boring! Where was the fun, the childlike wonderment, the cheeseball sense of pride and accomplishment? Everything was so hyperperfect, organized and restrained. My plans for world domination were suddenly looking awful meager. I quickly went online to find like-minded individuals and found that even in the world of geeks and freaks there was no space for renegade gardeners to commune. And so in early 2000 YouGrowGirl.com was born.


I found this a great book to flip through and it certainly had me smiling. Trail is funny, but also practical and the book is particularly useful for those who are just getting going in gardening. She also gives instructions for several great gardening projects, from a rustic woven twig fence to a gardening apron ("Not Your Grandmother's Gardening Apron.") (I got all excited to make that apron it looked so nice and then I thought, 'Who am I kidding?' I garden in my ripped jeans, crappy t-shirt and Blundstones and just carry around a bucket of tools. Still, it's cute.) All of the projects are rated by difficulty, from "easy peasy" to "get down and dirty."

Anyhow, I could go on. Need to know the perfect plants for a fire escape?, tips on "Garbage Dump Chic," how to "gussy up cheap containers," plus all the basics from planning, to seeding, to planting and more, then I think you'll enjoy this book. I'm going to buy a copy. Mine will be returned to the library in a few days.

Do you have a favourite gardening book? Share your favourites with us here.

No comments:

Post a Comment