Thursday, May 20, 2010

Seed Starters for Cheap-os (and Recyclers)

Well if that storm last night didn't fully confirm our status as wet coast gardeners, I don't know what will. I am afraid to look in the backyard to see if there is any carnage. I hope your gardens weathered that spectacular Isn't-It-Almost-June? storm.

Let's stay inside for now. I've been saving toilet paper rolls thinking they might be good for seedlings and then, lo and behold, Gayla Trail's second book, Grow Great Grub (also a great read, especially if you are frugal and have a small space; also in our library system) had a little blurb on "Toilet Roll Seed-Starting Cells." So that got me in gear and I transferred some little basil seedlings into tubes of their own and also started some squash and cucumber where they will stay for quite awhile now. (I even made them their own little boat from a juice carton cut lengthwise.)



Depending on how long they have to stay indoors, you may have to transfer these to larger pots before they go into the garden/greenhouse. Gayla suggests teasing the outer layer of paper off, just leaving a thin layer of paper, before transplanting them. I'll let you know how it goes.

And if you are keen to start a winter garden, it's time to think about it now. Yes, now. You might want to start to plan what you'll grow (West Coast Garden seed catalog is a good guide) and order your seeds. I'll do a post on this topic soon.

1 comment:

  1. Also, there is a winter gardening course on June 5th from 1-4pm with Carol McIntyre at the Field station at the Tofino Botanical Gardens. This is the 3rd in a 4 part series although you do not have to go to all of them to learn how to prepare your winter garden.

    ReplyDelete