Sunday, April 25, 2010

Pest Post #1: Cats

I am feeling a tad grumpy. No, it's not the weather (although that's not great), but it's cats. There must be about 8 neighbourhood cats making regular visits to my yard to peruse it for use as a toilet (or to hunt birds). I say "peruse" it for use as a toilet because I have devised ways over the years to thwart them. But...it takes constant vigilance. I primarily use netting or mesh of some sort, which I lay over the newly planted beds (their favourite). They don't seem to like the possibility of getting their feet entangled. It works for most cats, but some (the young ones I think) are particularly keen at trying to find a spot and tormenting me.



My friend Joanna also suggested cayenne, which I went for one day. Not sure if it made a difference because I used the netting as well. The rain will wash it away, of course, but it might be worth a try in drier weather.



Joanna also sent in some pictures of her methods with these instructions: For those gardeners who deal with cats, short sticks are the best way I've found to keep them out of freshly dug beds. Cedar kindling works well, broken in half and stuck into the soil. Figure out how much space a cat needs to turn around and put the sticks that far apart. Another planting woe, the white-crowned sparrows are around. So watch out and cover those seeds!





I may have to get my daughter's cross bow out next. (It only shoots marshmallows, but it will make me feel better.)

What pests are you "sharing" your garden with and how do you cope?

7 comments:

  1. Something's been eating my peas!!! Ahhhh....I don't like to share my peas. I thought it was the birds at first, but then replanted and added a tangle of netting around them and they're still going missing. Whatever it is, it is eating the peas either pre-sproated or just sproated, and it looks like they have been dug up! Any ideas?? Perhaps some sort of mouse??

    I haven't had much problem with cats, however, I have had dogs running through the beds. I heard about filling large, clear water containers and placing them throughout the garden. Will try this year and let you know.

    Have slug issues (who doesn't?), wireworms (maybe came in with the manure) and army worms (very large grub-like creatures that like to "share" our cauliflower!). I use eggshells, coffee grounds around the beds for the slugs (or go out at night and pick them). Apparently, coarse sea salt sprinkled on the brassicas works for army worms but I still had a problem. Usually seek and destroy the wireworms when I turn the soil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. with cats what i found works as well is critter ridder, keeps the dogs out as well, it's a conconcoction of different peppers smells, and very strong, kept my nose twitching for hours. Available at OCN garden center

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trolls are eating my lettuce. Help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jude,
    what kind of trolls, the flying kind, the kind that leave a slimy trail or the squirrels with bald tails? try putting out slug bait, or cover your crop with a crop cover to protect it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Rolly Polies (Sow bugs) in my garden that eat my strawberries, Ive tried Boric Acid powder and Sevin Dust to keep them at bay but I have to reapply it after watering. Any other ideas? I tried chickens, but they ate the fruit too. They also eat the snails. I'm presently trying Diatomaceous Earth, it cuts the worms as they travel across it. There is also milky spore for bugs, my next experiment - expensive though, but last 7 years.
    I agree with the Coleus canina idea but I also use a water soaker gun to chase cats away. They hate the water and keeps them away after they have been sprayed a few times. Don't be afraid to chase them and keep spraying them until they leave the property. Moth balls work for about a month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes i am totally agreed with this article and i just want say that this article is very nice and very informative article.I will make sure to be reading your blog more. You made a good point but I can't help but wonder, what about the other side? !!!!!!Thanks http://pestadomino.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I exactly got what you mean, thanks for posting. And, I am too much happy to find this website on the world of Google. fisa india lori ayelujara

    ReplyDelete