Friday, April 2, 2010

Greenhouse Dreams

Sigh. I have a bad case of greenhouse envy. It even looks as if the window frames are purple. Would look great in my yard, I think!



But, my backyard is now officially a lake, or at least a healthy-sized pond. I should really just let it be the swamp it desires to be. For now though, I'm trying to figure out how I might position a greenhouse without it floating away. I'd love to be able to build a funky one with old windows and recycled wood, but neither me nor the FH are that handy. For those who are, you might want to check out this post, which will show you how to build something like this:



I've been trolling for options on-line, but I'm not sure my pockets are that deep at the moment. Here are a few places I've found: Patio Concepts, Greenhouses 123, BC Greenhouses, and Sliptube Greenhouses. Trina, from Ordinary Corner Nursery in Tofino, has a line on this greenhouse from Sliptube. Here's what Trina said in her newsletter:

"As promised for those that may be interested. we have secured a line on a commercial grade residential greenhouse, in the same styling as our own, this is made from tubing that locks together. the greenhouse is manufactured in BC with 95% of the components out of BC and the rest from North America. It is steel tubing made in Canada so very sturdy. Really the only thing you supply is the manpower to put it up, and the foundation of 6x6's to attach it to the ground, and anchoring it to the ground we may even be able to work a deal to have the builder come and erect one for us, but that will need to be discussed later. Anyway everything is included, frame, plastic, spring lock, door and 1 roll up side it's 8'x15' so definately big enough for home please see attached for more information. one note: the benches inside the greenhouse are not included, so you may style the greenhouse to your specs. If you want more information, just give me a call, the great thing about these are if you have any questions, the answer guy lives in BC. oh yeah pricing. :Landed in Tofino $2000.00 plus taxes let us know asap, as the manufacture date on these cannot start until April, as they are booking out their time to do other jobs, so asap on replies."

If you're keen, get in touch with Trina asap (250.725.4450 or by email: ocn [at] island [dot] net). You can also see a larger version of this greenhouse at Ordinary Corner.

Do you have a greenhouse? Fire over a picture. (Or let me know and I'll come and photograph it. No doubt there are a lot of funky — and functional — greenhouses hiding out in west coast backyards.

3 comments:

  1. I really love that first greenhouse. Sooo pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can send you a pic of the inside of my greenhouse taken a few years ago. I've added lemon and lime trees, and my fig is way bigger, but I'd be happy to show what I had... Just let me know how to send you a photo (I'm not a blogger, this is new for me).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be great, Danielle. You can send the old picture or take a new one (it would be nice to see the lemon, lime and fig trees). A couple of angles and how it is incorporated into the house would be great (and exterior shot, too). Just send them to me via email (toughcitywriter [at] gmail [dot] com) and I'll put up a post. It would be great for people to see how you incorporated it into the house design. Or, I can call the next time I'm down and take come pics!

    ReplyDelete