Monday, March 29, 2010

Your Source for Drunken Women Lettuce

And then there's Georgescu chocolate peppers, yellow mortgage lifter tomatoes, and bullsblood beets. (For a word nerd like me, reading a seed catalog is about as much fun as reading the names on all those paint samples at the hardware store.) These seeds and dozens more are available from Salt Spring Seeds.



You can find a 2010 catalogue, as well as a selection of seeds, at Green Soul Organics on 4th Street. And, of course, Trina at Ordinary Corner Nursery has a great selection of seeds from West Coast Seeds as well as other brands.

Have any of you tried seeds from Salt Spring? What about other sources? I'm putting together a post on what people are seeding (and how and when). Let me know what's happening in your garden. Don't be shy. This is going to be awfully dull (for all of us) if we only learn about my garden.

4 comments:

  1. I mostly use West Coast Seeds and seeds that Ive saved (or that a friend has saved). I find WC seeds are really great for this area and germination is good.

    Yesterday I planted parsnips and radish out in the garden. I also have lettuce & meslun mix started undercover on my porch. Inside I have artichoke, celery, parsley, cilantro, basil, thyme, tarragon, and a bunch of varieties of onion. (some celery and parsley dampened off unfortunately).

    Im still eating tons of purple sprouting broccoli from last summers planting and kale (of course). I did eat lettuce all winter from the garden (and it wasn't under cover but did get a bit rusty and some of it died off during the frost in December). Throughout the winter we had cauliflower and some January King cabbage (although it did bolt early).

    I see chives, fennel, sorrel and self seeded parsley starting to grow.

    All of April, we plan to put in the rest of the garden. My gardening partner has just finished building a greenhouse out of old sliding doors and bits and pieces. Can't wait to grow tomatoes, basil and peppers in there!

    Thank you, Adrienne for this blog!

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your update, Leah. I will probably re-post some of these in a new post shortly so people can see what you are planting. I didn't realize that parsnips could go in now. Are they under cover?
    A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not under cover, between the garlic and interspersed with radish. First time trying it at this time of year, but were hopeful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently ordered some seeds from Salt Spring Seeds: Little Julia, a Currant Tomato (small cherry-like fruit) and Seattle Best of All (2" fruit). Both germinated quickly and the Seattle plants are fast growers.

    ReplyDelete